How to Wake Up Feeling Great Everyday
Each day is another chance – a new beginning. We want to start each day feeling fresh and recharged, because no one likes waking up on the wrong side of the bed. To make sure you have a good tomorrow, do these things TODAY:
1. Eat and drink healthy!
What you put in your mouth today has a huge effect on how you’ll feel tomorrow. Notice how eating a big, comfort food dinner makes you feel bloated and sluggish the next the day? The American way says dinner is to be your best meal, when in actuality your last meal of the day should be the lightest. Stay away from hard to digest complex carbs, and have a fresh salad, or steamed veggies. Also try not to eat too late so your body has a few hours to metabolize before you hit the hay. Always, stay hydrated! Drink AT LEAST 64 oz. of water a day. Avoid alcohol before bed, or when you do a have a drink before bed, be sure to pound some water after. And finally, no caffeine after 2pm – it can mess with a good night’s sleep.
2. Spend time in nature!
Getting outside connects us to nature. It’s one of the most therapeutic things we can do. Spend at least an hour outside every day – no excuses!
Your body needs it! Wether your form of exercise is going on a 30 minute speed walk, hitting a yoga class, or spending 2 hours at the gym a day, do something that will get your heart rate up.
4. Go to bed with a clear mind!
When we go to bed worried, upset, or with any negativity in the mind, it will make it difficult to fall asleep, and when/if you do finally get some shuteye, the negative thoughts can enter your subconscious taking over your dreams – ahh! A lot of times, something that seems like a problem today, will not matter tomorrow. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case for all issues, but dwelling on the issue all night will not make it magically disappear, it will just ruin a good nights sleep and make you crabby the next day with no problems solved. So do yourself a favor, and put your worries to rest when you go to rest. Easier said than done, right? Well it is if you think like that 😉 Try these things to help ease the mind before bed!
- Journaling: All problems are things we haven’t yet processed. As soon as we are able to understand the issue, the problem goes away. Journaling is a great tool to help process!
- Meditation: Sitting quietly for just 5 or 10 minutes may be all you need to clear your head. Light a candle, find a comfortable seat (or lie on your back in bed), breathe deeply and focus on letting go with each exhale.
- Hip Openers: We hold on to so much in the hips physically and emotionally. Opening the hips physically will help release some of that negative energy. Try laying in Half Pigeon on each side for several breaths to stretch your outer hips with Bound Angle Pose between sides. End in Supta Badha Konasana (Reclined Bound Angle). Do these poses on your bed if possible so you can go right to sleep when you’re finished.
- Yoga Nidra: A guided mediation that will have you peacefully sleeping in no time! You can download Yoga Nidra on iTunes and Spotify.
- Aromatherepy: Rub soothing essential oils on your chest and soles of the feet. My favorites are Lavendar, Roman Chamomile, and DōTERRA’s blends “Balance” and “Serentity”.